Creating Company Organizational Chart: Introduction
A Company Organizational Chart is a diagram that shows the structure of an organization and the relationships of division within it in a hierarchical manner.
If you are interested in creating organizational charts for your company without the use of any third-party software, such as the Microsoft Visio, then in this article we’ll provide you a simple step-by-step guide to creating company organization chart using Google Spreadsheets.
Google Spreadsheets is an online-based Free Spreadsheet program that provides a Microsoft Excel (.XLS) style sheet format for formulating your data with colorful charts and built-in graphs.
Moreover, Google Sheets has numerous built-in features that you can use to your advantages, such as formulas, pivot tables, and conditional formatting that will provide you with a very simple User-interface in completing most of your tasks easily. All you need is a free Gmail account and you are ready to start creating your sheets.
Best of all, you can access, create and edit your spreadsheets from your phone, tablet, or any other computer – from anywhere.
Here’s how you can put together an organizational chart using Google Spreadsheets. As an example, we’ll create two columns. We will name Column A as (Departments) and Column B as (Managers).
- Open a Google Spreadsheet
- In Column A (enter company department names) and in Column B (enter department manager names).
- Select the cells that you’ve just created and
- Select Chart from the Insert menu in the spreadsheet.
- This will open Chart Editor window within Google Spreadsheets.
- Select the second tab named Chart Types tab and
- Uncheck the option that says “Aggregate Column A” and “Switch Rows/Columns”
- Then scroll down the list of Available chart types, and select “Organizational Chart” box and click to Insert the chart into your spreadsheet.
You can insert new data in new columns and Google Sheets will automatically build a new organizational chart based on the newly entered data, creating a very detailed graphical organizational chart of your company in no time.